Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of using Browns Plains Self Storage?
- Affordability – our rates are extremely competitive.
- Accessibility – all sheds are on ground level – you can drive straight to your shed – no corridors or second storeys.
- There’s no waiting – you can move in on the same day you sign up.
- No locked-in, long term commitment – You pay monthly and we just ask for seven days notice when you are leaving. We refund any unused storage paid.
- Limitless access – You can access your space every day of the year and any time of the day providing your account is up to date. You will get a unique code for keypad entry and exit at the facility gate
- Bessa Block construction – Our sheds are bessa block construction so not only are they cooler, there are no drips from condensation on to your furniture and goods.
- Your belongings are safe – Thanks to our 24 hour CCTV, pin access, electronic gates & security fencing you have peace of mind. Your own padlock secures your space -no one else has a key to your shed!
How much will storage cost?
The cost of storage is dependent on the size of the space and we offer discounts for longer stays. Our fees are listed on the ‘affordable rate’ page on our website
What size shed do I need?
We have 4 shed sizes:
- Small: 2 x 2.4 metres
- Medium: 2.2 x 2.6 metres
- Large: 2.8 x 5.1 metres
- Extra Large: 3 x 8 metres
The following will give you some idea of the storage space you might need.
Size: 2 x 2.4 metres
What will it fit: Furniture for small apartment. Bed, lounge, dining set, boxes, electrical & miscellaneous items. Small business supplies.
Size: 2.2 x 2.6 metres
What will it fit: Furniture for 2 bedroom home. Whitegoods, bed Sets, dining set, boxes. Small business supplies.
Size: 2.8 x 5.1 meters
What will it fit: Furniture of larger 2 -3 bedroom home, good for commercial users – stock, tools, equipment, merchandise, etc.
Size: 3 x 8 metres
What will it fit: Furniture of larger 4 plus bedroom home. Good for commercial users – stock, tools, equipment, merchandise, etc.
What can I store in my storage space?
You can store almost anything in your space as long as it does not leak or give off noxious fumes. You cannot store perishables such as fresh food, vegetables and packaged food products – canned and bottled products are OK. You cannot store goods that are illegal, inflammable, explosive, hazardous or environmentally harmful e.g. chemicals, petrol, solvents.
What is the minimum rental period for a storage unit?
The minimum period of rental is normally a month however a shorter time period may be negotiated in special circumstances on management’s discretion.
Do I pay weekly or monthly?
We invoice customers every calendar month, payable in advance. We refund any unused storage charge when you vacate.
How can I pay my rent?
We accept all common methods of payment including cash, Visa card, Master card, online bank deposit /direct deposit and EFTPOS. We also offer discounts for prepaid longer term rentals.
What if I do not pay?
If you do not pay your storage fees we will over-lock your space and deny you access until you are up to date on your payments. If you continue to not make payment, we can, under the storage agreement, reserve the right to sell your goods to recover the monies owing.
Will I need to sign a lease?
No, you don’t need to commit to a lease but you will need to sign the Self Storage Facility Agreement. This is the self storage contract provided by the Self Storage Association of Australasia and licenses you (the storer) to occupy the space. Our staff will talk you through the contents of this simple agreement so that you understand the terms and conditions.
How long will it take to complete my transaction before I move in?
The process is easy and usually takes about 10 minutes. You will need to provide photo ID such as a driver’s licence and your contact details.
Can I drive to the door of my unit?
Yes. All units are on the ground floor and have driveway access.
Do you sell padlocks?
No. However, Brizsouth Locksmith, is located next door at 7/35 Tradelink Rd – phone 07 3800 7744 and they stock a good supply of locks.
Who keeps the key?
You do. The locking system on your door is secured by your padlock. You control entry to your space with your key.
Do I have to give notice when I want to leave?
You only need to give seven days notice when you wish to vacate. You can notify us in writing by email or post. When you vacate, we refund any money you have paid for unused storage.
Are my goods insured when stored with you?
- Goods are not automatically insured when in storage. Legally we are unable to insure your goods on your behalf because our agreement with you licenses to you exclusive use of the space. Although incidents in our storage complex are extremely rare, it is strongly recommended that all customers take out insurance cover for their goods (just as you would for your home, contents, car etc).
- You can carry your own insurance (check your homeowners insurance policy in case you are already covered) or we can offer very competitive insurance, at very reasonable rates, through our own self storage insurance broker (underwritten by QBE Insurance).
- The Financial Services Reform Act prevents us from providing advice however we have a Product Disclosure Statement available for you to read.
What are some good storage hints and tips?
- Put the items you think you’ll need most often at the front, near to the door.
- Leave refrigerators and freezer doors open or slightly ajar to prevent mildew.
- Cover your items with dust sheets – don’t use plastic covers because they retain moisture.
- Label your boxes on the sides and top for easy reference.
- Don’t share your pin number with anyone that is not listed on the agreement.
- Purchase insurance to protect your belongings or confirm that your homeowners or renters insurance covers your belongings while in storage.
- Pack heavy items (i.e. books) into small boxes. This will make them easier and safer to lift.
- Store mattresses, mirrors and paintings on long edges rather than flat to protect them and save space.
- Use similar sized boxes so you can stack them on top of each other and maximise space.
- Use good quality storage boxes so the bottoms don’t collapse when you are moving or lifting them. To reinforce the bottom of cardboard boxes, criss-cross packaging tape on the bottom of the box.
- Avoid unwanted guests by not storing food items.
- Whenever possible, disassemble items like table and bed frames to save space.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on the top to avoid boxes getting crushed.
What hours can I access my unit at the shed complex (41-43 Tradelink Dve, Hillcrest)?
24/7 (24 hours 7 days a week)
What are the office hours of the managing agents (The Professionals, 20 Commerce Dve, Browns Plains)?
Professionals Logan Lifestyles Realty at 20 Commerce Dve, Browns Plains manages the storage sheds. Their office hours are:
Monday to Friday – 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Saturday – 9.00 am to 12.30pm
Sunday and Public Holidays closed.
What about furniture removals?
We are not a removalist company but are happy to recommend Mini Movers. You can visit them online at http://www.minimovers.com.au/services/self-storage/ or call them on 1300 642 900. They will be happy to give you a quote.